Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Two.

I'm tired. Long day. And yesterday was long because my university had a lock down, and I got trapped in library basement. Yeah. So, poem number one (because I obviously didn't get to it yesterday.)

The Library Basement - for April 8, 2013

You are fictitious but neatly stacked
side by side, up and down,
as real as anything ever organized.
Your people are my people
and I am welcome, I am comforted,
pressed between the dusty rows
of adventure after adventure. 
In the middle of the alphabet
or a strangely-constructed system
I am at home and you are at home
and without each other we barely exist.
~

This second poem is written as a suggestion from a friend. Yes, I am taking suggestions! Let me know if you have a marvelous idea (or less-than-marvelous, those will also be considered.) This is about the few moments of being awake right after a dream.


Splotch - for April 9, 2013

Sometimes in bleaker moments of night
I toss from cloud to cloud like
a blackened splotch of thunderstorm.
I am nebulous but nightmarish and
I am not welcome here.

And so I drift, down,
from the lofty space where hurt is born
and I rumble away from the beginning
of distance and petulance and disturbance
and cautiously I fade
in color and constitution
until I am lightness
and carelessly I float
until I am warmth.

And I remember
every morning--
for the briefest second of lucidity
--the feeling of wind surrounding my body
and the sun warming my youthful limbs,
and all the peace a spirit can muster
being compacted into the seemingly finite container
of my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment