Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Two poems (for NPM)

Most people know I write. Less know that I write poetry. (I don't share that fact often, anymore.) But it's true. I have a deep, compulsive, dependent relationship with poetry. It's why I take long breaks from writing. The intensity takes over my brain, and then I forget to study. However! As a lover of poetry, and a future educator of your future children, I have found within myself a driving force, telling me that I should be an advocate for National Poetry Month. (And in case you have just woken from a coma or were underground or anywhere without a calendar, April is NPM.) As your personal poetry guru for this month, I find it necessary (and completely exhilarating!) to write a poem for every day. And considering that I made the decision this morning, I'll have to write two poems today, since I missed April 1st. Thus, we begin.

One. April 1, 2013

Can't Miss Me

Had the woman been waiting
in the lobby for long?
Was she panicked and harried,
had I done her wrong?
Is she wearing a scarf of black and white,
so that upon my arrival
she'll be within sight?
This chair is still empty,
are the stairs hollow too?
Should I wander around
if she doesn't follow through?
Did I make her impatient?
Did she not want to stay?
And is it really my fault
I just got lost on the way?
~

Two. April 2, 2013

Survival

Spreading warmth
between frosted soil layers
is where divinity
confers with finality.
For the act in question
poses with both
sunshowers and rainshines
and neither can offer
a decidedly balanced
means to survive.
~


More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment