Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Exhaustion is

A part of me regrets admitting that I am an endless well of poetry. It puts undue stress on my soul. I can't possibly produce something deep and meaningful every day. I mean... I can. But it's not necessarily something I want everyone to see. I am also extremely tired. Last night's sleep lasted just a few short hours and I am now up again, planning on going to bed early and waking up early to finish homework.

In light of that, I decided I might use an old poem. I searched for 'exhaustion' in my files. But what did I find? Well, I found quite a great many poems, but none of them quite reflect what I'm feeling and certainly aren't things I want to share with the world (anymore.)

So.

Here's a poem I once presented in high school. It perfectly reflects my feelings. It's fun to read out loud, if you feel the urge. And yes, it's written this way on purpose. If you have to ask then you don't know anything about poetry.

Choices by Nikki Giovanni for April 16, 2013.

If i can't do
what i want to do
then my job is to not
do what i don't want
to do

it's not the same thing
but it's the best i can
do

if i can't have
what i want       then
my job is to want
what i've got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more
to want

since i can't go
where i need
to go      then i must go
where the signs point
though always understanding
parallel movement
isn't lateral

when i can't express
what i really feel
i practice feeling
what i can express
and none of it is equal
i know
but that's why mankind
alone among the mammals
learns to cry

No comments:

Post a Comment