Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Grand Finale

Today marks the end of National Poetry Month. I wish it was a bit longer, because the challenge to continuously write poetry is exhilarating. And yet, the end has come at just the right moment. I have my final paper (of college!) due this Friday, and then I graduate next Saturday (the 11th.) If you think I'm excited.... well, you're wrong. I'm thrilled! Exuberant! Bonkers! Because "exciting" is a boring word.

Back to the point. This is the end. In honor of the end, and because I was gone all weekend in Missouri (and Kansas and Iowa) I have written four poems. I wrote them today whilst "tutoring" in the "tutoring center." No one showed up. Not even a quirky International student seeking grammar advice. They are posted here in order of how I wrote them, and no other order is intended. Not that you would think there was, I just thought I should clarify.

I hope, in the future, I will find something else to semi-diligently blog about. Maybe I'll just keep up with the poetry, like a champion! Or, I'll think of something more exciting  fun adventurous  intrepid. Until then, it has been lovely. I hope you continue to read my blog, and if I start slacking, shoot me a message and I'll get back on the horse. Blog. Blog-horse. Blorse? Horg? Whatever. Peace out.


Large Life In Small Places for April 27, 2013.

Pine cone baby,
baby in the grass,
grass under my feet,
feet in the past.
Past the silver lamppost,
post-stress we lay still,
still beneath the pine trees,
trees dropping their babies on this hill.


One For My Husband for April 28, 2013.

Dancing on a dirty cement floor
you promise me everything.
But you don't know
everything is already at hand
in the dim bulbs,
the dust floating in the light,
the open windows,
flowers in my hair and
hope
everywhere beyond.


Midnight for April 29, 2013.

No one is a nobody
and nobody always fails.
You don't get to be nothing
and leave me with [the weight
of] perfection, of invincibility.
You have to share it all--
sunshine and darkness,
tenderness and rage.
We have to meet
in the middle.
I get to fail too.


Again(st) for April 30, 2013.

The salmon swims upstream
and water might travel
against the grain.
So I fight my own strength,
I refuse to be stubborn.
I simply replace
my loss with gain.



No comments:

Post a Comment