Saturday, April 6, 2013

NPM: A sonnet for Saturday

For today's poem I've written an English (or Shakespearean) sonnet. I figure, I didn't put any effort into yesterday's poem, because, well, I didn't write it. So today I gave myself a challenge. Enjoy it! (and your weekend, which I'm sure is lovely.)

Wisdom, Swiftness and Patience

The sum of time has pressed upon me here,
with ceremony but little reason.
This, the fixèd sign of a waning season
as duty and trepidation draw near.

But hidden fear is my greatest defense.
Refusing to forfeit still motivates
me to be wise, to be swift, to not wait,
to leave the less courageous in suspense.

Yes, my brave soul will still bow in earnest,
but anxiously sigh as time takes apart
the wall I constructed around my heart.
Survival takes all the strength I possess.

And when the sun sets on this sordid day
freedom will tell me I've no time to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment