Thursday, November 10, 2011

Found(ation of) Gratitude: 9

A little over a year ago I was sitting in Melton Hall waiting to donate blood, when Danny Martin walked in. He looked agitated, and worried, which he later mentioned was because of his fear of blood. (Or needles? I don't remember.) He had called me a little earlier to inform me that he had something "important" to talk about. He sat down and asked in an anxious voice, "I have a proposition for you." Until that moment, I thought I was in trouble. I thought he was going to tell me we couldn't be friends for some awful reason, or that I wasn't good enough to be on the yearbook team, and then...

He offered me the job of Copy Editor. The previous person in the position had resigned, and since I had expressed interest in the paid yearbook positions, it was mine if I wanted it--which I did.

#9. I've found I'm thankful for my job. It's a lot of work for not much pay, but it's absolutely worth the effort. Last year was really difficult because we had a lot of catching up to do. But I love the writing and the editing, and I love the people I've worked with. My team this semester is small, but we're way ahead of schedule so our meetings are comfortable and relaxed. I'm thankful that they're willing to work so hard, and I'm thankful for all the people over the last year who have offered their information for articles.

I am also extremely thankful for the other editors. Danny, Emily, Adam and Krista are all incredible people and I've enjoyed working with them. We create memories--for ourselves, and for the university--and we do it beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment