Friday, November 4, 2011

Found(ation of) Gratitude: 3

I meant to post this last night, but I found myself exhausted at the end of the day. I'll explain why.

On Thursday nights, a group of students at my university go into the city to visit refugee families. These families come from all over the world. Mine in particular came from Burma. We first met them just 2 days after they arrived in Chicago. They are a husband, wife, daughter, and the wife's younger sister. The daughter is three years old, and is probably learning English the fastest, and usually takes up most of the time we spend in their home. We don't do anything productive, really. They bring us apples and make us tea and my partner and I (everyone goes with partner to visit a family) usually bring something fun, like cards. Yesterday I brought PlayDo.

This is not my favorite thing to do on Thursday nights. Thursdays are long days that start with co-teaching 7th graders for about 4 hours, then some classes, then maybe dinner. We leave for the city at 5:30, and get back at about 9:30 or 10. Thus, when finally returned to my apartment, all I wanted was sleep.

It's also not my favorite thing because--believe it or not--people who don't speak English and don't have anything in common with you are hard to have conversations with! The wife is a little younger than I am, so I'm sure if she knew the right words we could talk about shopping or the weather. But the husband doesn't talk much at all, and the sister is 13 and not interested in much of anything, that I can tell. The three-year-old, whom we have nicknamed Tessy, dominates almost all social interactions. She's loud and crazy. She makes it less awkward.

And I know it's worth it.

3. I've found I'm thankful for programs like the one I'm in, so that I can go and be with people who have no friends, no connections, no comfort. I'm thankful that I was born in a country where I'm free to speak my mind and be passionate about my faith. I'm thankful I don't need to be afraid of being kicked out of my own country for supporting the wrong religion or the wrong politician. And I'm thankful to live in a world where there will always be people to help others in need--even if that need is only friendship.



(#4 Later...)

1 comment:

  1. That looks like Holly's ball with some playdough on it. Now I have a need to go play with some playdough myself!

    ReplyDelete