Friday, April 8, 2016

NPM 2016: Day 8 {Santa Barbara County Area Code}



Santa Barbara County Area Code
September 7, 2015

In that year
between the lights
between two fires
I kept a notebook in my car
next to my camera
so I could write
and drive
and take pictures
of the sunset.
It used to carry directions
to a friend’s wedding
in Missouri
and several lists
of gifts to buy
for people who no longer
speak to me.
And now the first page
holds only the parts of a poem
where I scrawled
“trees the color of
smoke
trees the color of
smoke”
over and over, until I said
“sky smells like snow”
“leaves like shadows”
and then a scribble
and a phone number
which must be yours
because it was probably
that desolate January
when we had the ice storm
and you let me call
because I thought
I would die
without fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment