Monday, May 13, 2013

Ten Nonsensical Days

As I sit here, ready to write, it occurs to me that ten days have passed since I last blogged. Ten days filled with walks in the woods and illness and paper-writing and black coffee and a glorious lack of final exams. And naps. Many naps.

On Friday the 3rd I turned in the final paper of my college career. (That is, a real paper, not a reflection.) Actually, my husband turned it in for me. I intended on staying up most of the night finishing it. So I posted this picture.
Diligently, and with my (awesome) cup of black coffee, I worked until about 3:00 am. A dizzying tiredness then forced me to sleep, but I swore to be back up in three hours. Two hours into my "night nap" I got sick. Achy, nauseous sick. I got up at 7:00 am, despite the overwhelming desire to throw up (I am actually incapable of doing so), and spent the next four hours finishing my paper. I took frequent breaks to walk around and growl like a bear, because somehow that made me feel better. Once finished, my husband drove to the school to turn in my paper, and I stayed sick for the next two days.

On Monday I went to Starbucks with my homegirl Emily, and we decorated tote bags.


Also on Monday I downloaded a bunch of free music from Amazon. My favorite 2-volume album is linked below, so you can enjoy it as much as I do.
The Power of Independence, Volume 1.
The Nettwerk Spring Music Samper 2013 is pretty awesome too. (and also free!)

On Tuesday Emily and I went to TWO Forest Preserves (because in the Midwest you have to preserve the forest. They can't exist on their own. Apparently.) Here are a few of the many photos I took. 

  Chunky bark.

 Drop-dead gorgeous.

 Because no one appreciates dandelions.
Bright blossoms.

 Nap in the grass.
Just plain awesome.    


On Wednesday I actually had nothing to do, so I stayed home and slept and rested in preparation for the weekend. Thursday I met with a friend briefly, went to my final class of college ever (which included no homework or classwork, just watching others' presentations) and then tried (unsuccessfully) to find a dress for graduation. Friday I spent many hours in commencement rehearsal.

At long last, after 5 years of hard work, sleepless nights, and endless amounts of paper, Saturday came. I sat through lengthy speeches and lovely musical performances. I (barely) held it together, knowing that my parents couldn't be there. I laughed when someone threw beach balls into the section of graduates and then the coordinator, quite flustered, had to retrieve them, and gave us all a shaming frown. And then I walked across that stage, took my diploma cover from the dean-of-something (who was chewing gum the whole ceremony), shook hands with President Williford, and sat back down with the biggest smile on my face. I still somehow managed not to cry. 

Sorry, no hat. It was too windy.

So there you have it. The last ten days of my life. I don't know how I managed to fit in so many things, but I did. I think I made up for it by sleeping in until 10:30 am today. And now I'm off to find something to clean, or maybe just some more coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment