Monday, May 7, 2012

Pull in to the station

Some thoughts on my final finals week.

I never have to do this again. I could start by saying I've never done this before. I've never had a stress-reliever (husband) waiting at home at the end of each final. I've never experienced a finals week in which I was not also scrambling to find people to take care of half my belongings for the summer, and simultaneously packing everything into two suitcases and that ENORMOUS green backpack. I am not stressing about making sure I finish all my finals in time for the flight home. I am not measuring out meal swipes, or pawning them off to those who have used all theirs up. I am not spending my evenings at Late Night Waybright (or Midnight Melton, aw). I don't have a suite duty, which usually includes something stupid like wiping down windowsills three times over or washing walls. I am studying with no one. I am not having movie marathons with studying friends.

It's different, and it's nice. I like coming home to Joey, who brings me tea and soda from Panera and makes me coffee and buys ice cream to soothe my nerves. He holds me when I'm freaking out (which I haven't done yet, but it's still possible.) I get to study by myself, and when I stay up all night writing or pouring over facts I get to keep a couple lights on, I can go to the kitchen and make myself something to drink or munch on, and he won't wake up. It's a nice change from previous years. Things are changing all the time, and I'm adapting fairly well.

And next Tuesday May term starts. And then... who knows? The landlady hasn't made a decision yet, which is disconcerting, because whoever that silly seminary student is that she is also considering should know that he can easily get a roommate and live somewhere else, for even cheaper. Problem is, she is elderly, and when you're that old you just get to do what you want. And we're not going to be pushy.

I don't like waiting for something so obscure. It was hard enough just waiting until Monday to find out her decision. Now she still hasn't made one, and we won't know when her decision is made. I like to know how long I have to wait until I have to start waiting for something else. Yep.

It's like we're in a train station, and we're waiting for a very specific train. No one will tell us when the train is arriving, but they do know that when the train arrives, there's a chance we won't be able to get on. So it feels like we might as well go wait for another train that actually has a time of arrival. Or, we could find Platform 9 3/4 and head to Hogwarts. That sounds like a more exciting trip, anyhow.








No comments:

Post a Comment