Monday, April 13, 2015

NPM: Six Whole Poems



I love weekends, but there is something peaceful about being alone in the classroom on Monday nights. The solitude and the open space is somehow calming. There was some sort of bustle last week, though I couldn't even tell you what I became busy with, except that it kept me from blogging (the horror). Yet in the previous six days, despite having missed writing/posting poems for each of them, my view counter increased by about 200. That phrase is probably meaningless to you, so I'll break it down: Over 10,100 people have viewed my blog. That's like 200 people just in the last week. 

And I wasn't even here.

No, I won't make it up to the world by writing a a gushing fountain of poems. But I will post six, because I owe six. That will have to be satisfactory. In any case, enjoy these. :)

1. Senbon - Written March 24, 2015

To blame myself
gives me more power than I deserve.
I bitterly hoped
for nothing but the worst but
never really asked for such fruition.
And when I said
those hurtful words to curse you
they were spoken from a desire
that I would merely be blessed too.
So I will not feel guilty
if you will not feel slighted
because I know the weight of loss
and no one
can carry it alone.

2. Under the moon. - Written January 18, 2015

Reaching for each other
under the moon or
in the sun
Hands chained to hearts
bring us both
to light

3. Femme - Written June 8, 2014

I send you out with diamonds for eyes,
I have made you a promise of gold.
You will nourish the hearts and minds of men
until all but your love has grown old.

4. The Worst - Written June 5, 2014

My favorite song asks me what I’m so afraid of. 
It asks me why I feel scared–because it knows
it’s just a feeling, and nothing more.
It asks me, what’s the worst that can happen?
And in those moments after I've prayed
like a wounded bird about to take flight
I ask myself those same three questions
to somehow gauge the distance
between the anxiety flooding my body
and the reality I must endure, regardless
of whatever the worst might be.

5. Sacred. - Written May 27, 2014, Revised April 13, 2015

I am not better than you.
I am stronger than I was,
I am wiser than I was,
older and better
than the person
I have been.
And so are you.
But if you unlearn the lessons
we learned separately,
and yet
in equal measures
of turmoil,
you will undo all
the damage I've repaired.
I promise,
and do not threaten,
to be better angrier,
to be better sadder,
to be better forsaken
than you were ever sacred.

6. Middleofthenightness - Written April 12, 2015

Like everyone else
I look back.
Some people see
a great loss
or mourn for
a great love
and wonder at
the great divide
which shelters us
from the people we were.
But I see a girl making
a great mistake
while she longs for
a great love
and fights against
the great divide,
but losing myself
is the only thing
I do not count as
a great regret.


No comments:

Post a Comment