Monday, September 2, 2013

Unexpectedly perfect

Several thoughts consume me this late night... early morning... whatever time this is during which I am unable to sleep. I've been 25 for a whole week now, and--surprise! No quarter-life crisis. I probably won't have one. It sounds exhausting.

So far, being 25 is pretty excellent. My husband gave me some lovely art supplies for my birthday: oil pastels, which I've used a lot, and chalk pastels, which I've used once or twice, and look forward to playing with. Apparently both are used best on watercolor paper, which is convenient, because my parents sent me some, along with a Scrabble mug. I'll probably have to take a webcam photo of me drinking from it, since that seems to be "my thing" with blog profile pictures.

My 25th birthday celebration is in three parts, 2/3 of which have already happened. 1. On Monday (the 26th) we went up to Wisconsin to visit Emily for the day. It was such a lovely break from real life. I hadn't seen Emily since graduation, and we weren't sure if she could come down for any party we might plan, so we finally took her up on the offer to visit. We went thrifting and antiquing and visited a lighthouse. The weather was breathtakingly peaceful, the company was soothing, and I came back a much happier person.

 

 




2. On my day of birth, I spent many hours at home, alone in the apartment. I was supposed to go with Joey down to Deerfield so I could visit with some friends, but ended up being sick and stayed home. It wasn't that bad. I don't even remember what I did. I think I read a book and watched Felicity and cuddled with the dog. That night we wanted to go to Caribou Coffee, because they give you a free drink on your birthday, so we drove down to Lake Forest but couldn't find the place. While in the area we called Danny, who said he was busy, and then invited us over to another friend's apartment for dinner. (Yep. That's what my friends are like. They just invite me to other people's houses so I can eat their food.)

We dined on smoked salmon, grilled apples, caprese salad, Spanish wine, white rice, a wheat baguette with olive oil, and (because men can't resist) bacon. Several hours were spent sitting and talking, drinking coffee, listening to Danny strum old John Mayer tunes on the guitar, and then we ended the night at a 24-hour Baskin Robbins--they insisted, because you can't have a birthday without ice cream.

It wasn't a group of people I expected to be with on my birthday. And yet, somehow, among all the bliss of eating with chopsticks and the exertion it took me to be social, it was a perfect day. Two perfect days in a row, that's pretty hard to beat.

3. My husband owes me a birthday party. I don't know when it's happening, but I am definitely getting one this year.

The other thoughts running through my head will come some other time. I'll try to sort them out a little. But for now, things are just good.

P.S. I started a new blog, about my novel. Click here to check it out! I would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment