Sunday, January 1, 2012

And I don't feel any different

Happy New Year! I'm sure you just couldn't wait to read that on a blog today, because no one has told you enough. Right? Yeah, that's what I thought. You're a little overloaded with resolutions and regrets and maybe you have a hangover. So, I've decided to wander from the norm a bit today and not write about resolutions or regrets. (And I don't have a hangover, so we won't even go there.)

Today, instead of telling you what I want to do in 2012, I'm going to talk about what I am NOT going to do in 2012. Prepare to be surprised. (ever wonder about that phrase? can you really be prepared for a surprise? I mean, if you're surprised, that means you weren't expecting it. Huh.)

1. I am not going to be pressured by Illinois drivers. The drivers here are rude and impatient, and deadly. You know how when there's a green light, but no green arrow, and you can inch out into the intersection and turn left at the last minute? Yeah, I don't do that. If there's a space, I will turn left, but I don't like being in the middle of the intersection because--guess what--I might die! The other week a SEMI TRUCK honked at me because I wasn't inching out. And so I swiftly turned left in front of somebody, who proceeded to beep their wimpy little horn at me. So, there you have it. I'm not going to be pressured into being a crappy driver like everyone else in this state.

2. I will not get worked up about Facebook the way everyone else seems to. I have never taken it seriously, and I never will. If people write a lot of annoying things, I simply don't read it. I don't understand why people complain about other people on facebook. No one forces you to read a status! Someone might post something new every half hour, but that doesn't make you obligated to look at it! It also doesn't make you obligated to complain about them every half hour, which in turn causes you to be just like them. ALSO. If someone does something on facebook that you don't like, or they offend you, that doesn't mean you need to go drama-queen on us and delete your facebook, or delete that person. Get over it. It's the internet.

3. I'm not going to get a summer job in the food business. This isn't new. I've tried it, and I hated it. I would rather be a custodian. I would rather mow lawns. The end.

4. Despite the wishes of my parents, my siblings, my in-laws, and who knows who else, I am not going to get pregnant. Don't worry, Joey and I want kids. But not yet. Plus, nobody wants me to be student teaching AND have a bun in the oven. You'll all just have to wait until 2013.

5. I will not talk to people about politics. It is an election year, and I know that it may be expected of me. But I never have, and I never will. My vote and my personal beliefs will be represented by my actions and my behavior. I'm not going to talk about it. (Unfortunately, I'll be student teaching during election time, so I'll have to come up with some sort of witty response when the kids ask me who I'm voting for.)

So there you go. Five things I'm not going to do. Hope you all have a wonderful 2012 and don't get too carried away with your resolutions (or lackthereof.)

2 comments:

  1. You can come mow my lawn this summer, if I have one to mow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm going to come all the way home, I'm not mowing any lawns.

    ReplyDelete