Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Completeness, not complacency

For the last 2-ish months Joey and I have slowly been settling into our new lives. He has a job at Panera Bread. He was hired on my first day of classes, and his time there so far has been sublime. The people are great, the atmosphere is great, and I don't have to worry if he's going to come home in a disgruntled mood. (instead, he always comes home with free bread and pastries.)

My copy editor position is almost in full swing. Not a lot to write about yet, since the semester has just begun, but an entirely new team of writers has proven to be a challenge--and a blessing. It's good to start the year out with a complete team. We won't have an insurmountable catch-up period in mid-October, that's for sure.

I have been considering when I'm really going to feel like we live here, and I think we've reached that point. Classes and jobs and activities are flowering all over the place and blooming into a vast, colorful schedule. (seriously, I designed a schedule calendar, and it's color-coded.) We've budgeted things and know where to buy which groceries. We have a microwave to warm up the coffee which is always made hot but never imbibed at the right speed. And finally, after several purchases and returns, and almost purchases, we have a couch.

Yes. I have found happiness in a couch. You don't know how much you need one, until you're trying to have a meal with your husband in your tiny apartment and there isn't a safe place to sit next to him and also eat your food. You don't know how hard cuddling is until your bed is on the floor and the headboard (aka "the wall behind the bed" is made of cement.

I can have hot coffee and free bread and do my homework while sitting on the couch next to my husband. I have settled the issue of "settling in." And now, onto some new adventures.

Hint: I just joined something called Refugee Ministry. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment